CNA certification examination is also known as National Nurse Aide Assessment Program. This is the final test of CNA course and students must pass to be employed and being registered in Nurse Aide Registry. This test evaluates the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform appointed action in profession of nurse. The evaluation test consist two major parts; one written or oral and another is a hands on skill examination. A candidate who passes the both examination is eligible to gain certification from the state and to be employed in entry level nurse aide position. The CNA certification examination will be conducted by National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
Enter Your Zip to Find CNA Schools Near You & Request Free Enrollment Info.
Components of CNA Test and Procedure
To become a certified nurse, candidate must challenge and pass the certification examination. The evaluation of both written and skills administered in the same day and you must have to pass CNA test in purpose to register in Nurse Aide Registry or to obtain certification. The written test questions are in multiple choice formats in English language. A Spanish or English oral are available option who feels uncomfortable in English written examination. In second part of CNA test students must have to perform five practical and on hand skills. These five skills are randomly selected from a list of 25 skills.
Recommended CNA Schools that offer CNA Classes and CNA Training
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions.
- Medical Assisting, AS (Online)
- Medical Assisting
- Practical Nursing
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Medical Assisting - Associate
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate
- And more...
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP-Medical Assistant
- AAS - Medical Office Administration
- Certificate: Medical Assistant
- Associate of Applied Science: Medical Assisting
- Certificate: Medical Assistant
- AS - Medical Assisting
- Diploma - Medical Office Specialist
- Diploma - Medical Office Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Military Physical Assistant Prerequisite Program
The part of on hand skill test will be conducting in a proper nurse aide work environment. All tools and equipments are available to perform technical on hand skill and candidate can ask any questions before begins of examination. Each five skills needed to pass completely within given time duration to pass certification examination. One of the five skills randomly consists taking measurement and record findings such as blood pressure, the pulse, or the weight of patients.
Important skill to perform in CNA Test
The various skills are learned and practiced to become CNA such as
- Wash hands,
- Apply one knee high elastic stocking,
- Assist to ambulate using transfer bed,
- Assist with use of bedpan,
- Clean dentures,
- Count and record patient’s radial pulse,
- Count and record client’s respirations,
- Wear and remove gown and gloves,
- Dress patient with affected (right) arm,
- Feed patient who can’t feed self,
- Give modified bed bath,
- Make an occupied bed path,
- Measure and count pressure,
- Measure and record urinary output,
- Measure and record weight of ambulatory client,
- Perform passive range of motion exercises for patient knee and ankle,
- Perform passive range of motion exercises for patient shoulder,
- Position client on side,
- Provide catheter care for female patient,
- Provide fingernail care,
- Provide mouth care,
- Provide food care,
- Provide perineal care for female patient,
- And transfer from bed to wheelchair using transfer belt.
Most states offer a CNA to challenge certification examination three times within two years of completing training course. Both parts of CNA test are need to be retaken, if you are failed in examination in both written and skills portions. Who only failed in one parts can participate in re-test of one part only. Who failed examination in consecutive three times needs to re-train to appeared in examination next time.
The nurse aide test preparation class for certification examination can find in some institutions, online training classes and free test preparation course.
The CNA test is about to become a certified nursing assistant. The test procedure, requirements, course work are included which are essential to become a CNA.